Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Smoke Bombs.

The smoke effect Jord wants for the film is for the lantern but also for smoke travelling across the floor. I did have a chat with him about doing that in after effects but he's 100% sure he wants the smoke on set in real time so it moves authentically with the wind, which I thought was fair enough and this gave me a chance to make it more of an experiment after all as I had never made anything like that.

I looked online first and wanted to find the cheapest and easiest way to do it and the first thing I had seen was to drain the yolk out of an egg, fill it with flour and then you literally just throw it. Although it was a good explosion, it didn't last for very long and very soon the cloud of flour had been taken away with the wind.


After realising this I asked around in fancy dress shops with no luck until a store worker had pointed me towards B&Q where they do a sulpher dioxide candle and it supposedly slow burned. I purchased one to try out and it looked promising but the smoke was virtually clear, and extremely toxic and it didn't fit inside the lantern so I had to go back to the drawing board. But secretly I was quite relieved it didn't work because it was quite expensive for what it was.


But finally I found the solution and it was cheap and extremely easy to make. I trawled youtube to see if there were any helpful videos on the issue and I came across one video that showed me how to me smoke bombs with table tennis balls and tin foil, cheap and easy just what I wanted but did it actually work? so I tried it out on set before we needed it. you simply wrap the tin foil around the table tennis ball make sure you leave a sort of chimney for the smoke to escape. Once I knew it worked I went and bought 3 packs of the cheapest table tennis balls from Decathlon at £1.49 for a pack of ten. Below there is a video of how it turned out.






No comments:

Post a Comment